I just found Magnus‘ book in the clutter on my desk. I guess I am not as done with him as I thought I was. There is a long-due desk-organization in order.
Finally it seems like the curse has been broken, and I managed to find inspiration to finish Magnus.
As I mentioned the white cape did not turn out well; I repainted the whole thing in French blue (AK Interactive), and did some shading using wet blending methods (so I do not use oils only). I found some of the parchment strips hanging from his coat (I have been with this figure since two years ago, and it has moved countries with me half-painted). I painted the details using water-soluble oils, though – they give a nice, transparent effect.
I tried to give some of the iridescent effect to the feathers; I think they turned out OK. I also played with the skin-tones: I did some shades using purple. I have read a long time ago someone mentioning this -and surprisingly it works.
Anyhow, it is finished, and took its place in my cabinet. Off to finishing off the big E, and the other running projects. God, help me find strength not to start new ones until I do.
I normally do not do WIPs for figures because a.) I am not a great painter b.) they are not the main focus of this blog.
But since I have been working on a few since, well, for a while now, I decided to do three WIPs. This is the first: Magnus the Red. Who did nothing wrong. (And I stand by this statement.) This is the pre-heresy form of him; not yet a broken daemon thing with boob-horn-armor.
I left out the whole swirling rubble-thing from the kit because I do not find them convincing; essentially he is done. His knee horn got missing over the years (I started him in the UK a long, long while back), and he has “only” his coat left to paint. Which is going to be challenging, as it has iridescent feathers, and I am not very good with coats anyhow.
I am experimenting with oils for blending.
The armor was a combination of AK’s True Metal paints in several layers, with washes and oil paints.
I quite like how the dark, broken, iridescent glass turned out to be -again, oils dabbed on.