Tag Archives: battleship

ICM 1/350 Markgraf part 4 -finishing for now

First part

Second part

Third part

Well, what do you know… another model is being finished. The world must be ending.

(OK, “sorta” finished. The rigging and some weathering is still to be done as you will see.) I wrote a review if interested about the model on ModelShipwright.

I ended up gluing in the turrets as they were somewhat wobbly, and decided not to do the rigging yet as I was pretty much exhausted with the model.

The next problem I faced: I could not take proper photos using my lightboxes. I have a small one, and a medium sized one -but the ship did not fit into either properly, as you can see, not to mention I had problems with lightning it properly.

I ended up using natural light outside my patio and included those photos as well.

 

OK, so some weathering, some rigging, and it is done. But for now, I keep it in the cabinet.

Now I need to finish the two Panthers (the Takom one is getting there), and I can feel finally I am doing something productive.

And then I only have a StuGIII, a Tiger I, Tiger II with resin interiors, an Amusing Hobby Ferdinand, a Takom Jagdpanther, and the RFM Sherman with interiors. And the older models I kept from my time in America… At this rate it will take a couple of decades to finish the larger projects, let alone the small ones also waiting.

ICM 1/350 Markgraf part 3

First part

Second part

I started the painting process.

Everything was primed using Vallejo’s primer -or in case of the wooden deck, AK Interactive’s sand primer. I used oils -straight from the tube- to create a wood-like effect, and a dark wash.

 

The superstructure was painted light grey, the hull a darker shade- tried to mix up the necessary colors representative of the German navy during WWI.

I also tried to mix the linoleum color for the upper decks.

ICM 1/350 Markgraf part 2

In the first part I reached a stage when I could make a diorama, something like the sunken Hindenburg, and call it a day…

This would be an interesting diorama idea, however, I have a ship to review. So I went on to working on the turrets.

I cut away the same length of plastic from the kit barrels as the metal barrels were, and I fixed the metal barrels onto the resulting stump. Carefully filed away the moulded-on ladder detail from the turrets, and used PE instead. The bases of the turrets also were a bit improved with PE replacement ladders. The turrets remain movable, however they do not fit snugly, and there’s a little play in the movement; I think I will glue them in place once I decide on their position on the model.

I also built the boats; they are fine as they are, but the PE set provides some serious improvement. (Rudders, oars, propellers, railings…)

 

Due to the peculiarities of battleship building, you build and paint in sub-assemblies. Now I need to paint… which requires me to set a big chunk of time aside. Until then the ship building is suspended.

(The next steps will be the painting of the decks, the hull, and the superstructure. Once that is done, I have to add the small details, the boats. the boarding ladders, the railings, etc, and paint a lot of this by hand… I think armor will stay my favorite subject.)